Monday, December 7, 2009

"It Came upon the Midnight Clear" Recording

Wow! What a weekend. I can't believe it's actually happened. This dream of mine has actually become reality. BYU Singers' premiere of my setting of "It Came upon the Midnight Clear," turned out beautifully. They really locked it in and nailed it. I could not have hoped for a better premiere. I'm so humbled that they would all pick up this piece and put as much energy into it as they would any other piece. Dr. Staheli did such a masterful job interpreting and conducting the piece. Wow!

It's kinda funny, a lot of people have told me that it sounds very "Whiticre-esque." I take that as a very high compliment, but for the record, I actually had Gabriel Jackson and Maurice Beesley in my head when I wrote this.

I've started putting the material together to start sending it off to some publishers. Here's page one again, with a quick and dirty recording to accompany it. Hope you enjoy! Tell me what you think.



5 comments:

Lizzie Low said...

Ha! Yes! Now I finally have material that I can use to brag to my coworkers about you :) Love yer guts matt

Unknown said...

Matt, this is fantastic. I love love love this piece.

BJ said...

Matt. I'm so glad you're sharing this song. It's phenomenal! I love you for more reasons that just this song, ya know? :)

Ian said...

I hate it how everyone compares to Whitacre; as much as I love his music, I don't particularly aspire to write just like him, so it tends to bother me when people say that about my music...

As for your piece, it's beautiful! Very different from the original, and much better in some ways. I wish I could have come to the concert, but unfortunately I had my own concerts to sing at...

John S said...

I heard this song on NPR today and it brought tears to my eyes. It is beautiful. Thank you for allowing me to share it with my girlfriend who directs our local choir.