Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Random thoughts about composing recently

Well, I just finished polishing a piece that I've been writing for some time. I finished it last night and spent today fixing all the crappy things I did. Now, it goes away for about a month. I'm currently working on polishing another piece I wrote almost two months ago. It's pretty exciting stuff.

Yesterday, I printed out an piece I've written for choir and orchestra. I decided to go to Kinko's to print it on tabloid paper. The thrill of seeing my piece printed out on huge paper is hard to express. There's just one slight hang up. I wanted to get the thing spiral bound with a covers on the front and back but Kinko's doesn't have any tabloid binding. I ended up just stapling it together – kinda killed the magic.

I've got a lot of projects that I'm working on that I wonder if I'm spreading myself too thin. I have lots of ideas I'm currently trying to flesh out – which has always been one of the hardest parts of composing for me. Sketching is usually one of the easiest. The best part about composing though, is finishing a piece, having people perform it, and then hearing people unconsciously hum it to themselves. Now that's a great feeling.

No comments: